Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dexter – Remains to be Seen, or Case of the Missing Jerk

So much has happened to our friend Dexter since we saw him last! A new baby, a (relatively) loving marriage, and still, the old dark passenger along for the ride. Can Dexter have it all?

NO. It turns out that sleep deprivation and family stress make you a terrible serial killer. Even though I was dismayed by Dex’s sloppiness this week, (in the punching bag? Really?) I still find myself drawn to the intrigue. It’s not unlike the car crash from this week – it’s going to be gruesome, but I can’t look away.

Dexter, not unlike that other cable serial (get it – serial?) True Blood, occupies a precarious situation because of its history as a novel series. Why is it that they don’t deal with the rabid fans of other books like Harry Potter and Twilight? Well, I don’t want to get too off-topic, but after perusing the first few pages of the first book on which True Blood is based, I can tell you it’s not because of the writing quality. I’m always tempted to pick up a Dexter novel, if only to find out what happens next, but then don’t want to spoil the excitement of upcoming episodes and seasons. I also don’t want to be disappointed to find out that a TV series is of higher quality than a novel, because that just makes me sad for humanity. Granted, I haven’t researched this fully, so I have no idea how closely the two forms parallel each other.

ANYWAY, diversion over.

After his horrific car accident last week, Dexter emerges relatively unscathed but still fearing for his life because he can’t seem to find the recently dismembered body that was in his trunk. Or was it? After an exhaustive search, Dexter can’t seem to find that body anywhere! What a wacky predicament!

Along the way, co-workers, other dead bodies, and his family divert Dexter from the all-important task of recovering and properly disposing of his most recent kill. Special Agent Lundy is back in town tracking a new killer (SPOILER ALERT: I think it might be John Lithgow!), there’s been a spate of tourist murders in Ye Olde Miami, and Rita is turning into a harpy. Dexter, your life is so hard!

Miraculously, Dexter finds his missing body, collaborates with Lundy, solves the tourist murders, and spins a convincing yarn for Rita. At the end of the day, all he wants to do is get a good night’s sleep, but little Harrison sees to it that Daddy Dexter is in for yet another sleepless night.

I’m not sure how I feel about the “all-American Dad” theme they’re cultivating this season – I don’t care about Dexter because he reflects reality, I care about him because he’s an awesome serial killer. I’m also unhappy that poor Rita is being cast as a nagging drag on Dexter’s fun. I truly believe that, in his twisted way, Dexter loves Rita as much as he can love anyone. Let’s let him show it, okay, Dexter writers?

No comments:

Post a Comment