Sunday, September 27, 2009

Glee - Preggers, or Baby Swap!

First off, a huge thank you to everyone who recommended I tune in to this fabulous piece of television. I was skeptical, mostly because it was airing on FOX, but it is truly amazing. It's so well put together that I am completely without snark, if you can believe it. Anyway, let's get down to business at old William McKinley High School.

So, Quinn is pregnant. I'm embarrassed to say that I fully bought the hot tub necking explanation until Mohawk Guy broke it down for us viewers. On other shows, it would seem trite that this bombshell followed directly on the heels of Rachel's "celibacy doesn't work" speech, but that's the best thing about Glee - it takes very stereotypical characters and high school situations, but layers them with the depth and inherent flaws of real life. It brings me back to my high school days so much, it can sometimes be painful to watch.

I'm confused that the two options presented to Quinn and Finn are either abortion or raising the child. Why not give the baby up for adoption? The storyline of Terri taking Quinn's baby could have been much less creepy if the idea of adoption was put forth before. Maybe Ohio still holds a Mad Men-style enmity toward adoption I'm unaware of.

But that brings us to Terri. The most despicable character on Glee, Terri reminds us of the boom times of the early 2000's, where we could put anything and everything on those Pottery Barn credit cards, without a care in the world. She wants everything, and she wants it now, and her grotesque consumerism puts a painfully accurate mirror up to our own culture, just a short time ago. I have no idea how she's going to pull off this false pregnancy, but she seems damned determined. One of my favorite production details is the ominous a capella music that plays whenever Terri schemes, by the way.

I'm having a tough time buying that Rachel will quit New Directions to be Sally Bowles just because Tina got the West Side Story solo. I'm sure she'll realize the error of her ways after slogging through a rehearsal or two with Sandy. Everyone will grow and learn, and it will be great. On a side note, the fact that Tina doesn't stutter when she sings is actually true. Most stutterers have a temporary reprieve when they sing. Isn't that interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment